Q1: What is the CIIA Qualification?
The CIIA is achieved by passing the examinations set by a team of international and local experts under the auspices of the Association of Certified International Investment Analysts ACIIA®.
Q2: What is ACIIA?
The ACIIA was established in 2000 as a not-for-profit organisation limited by guarantee, and is registered in Switzerland.
Q3: What organisations are involved in the ACIIA?
Q4: What is the role of the ACIIA?
- Establish and supervise the exams for the CIIA;
- Award the CIIA;
- Encourage and provide a forum for the creation and interchange of ideas and information in the field of finance and investment;
- Support and promote the interests of the global investment industry; and
- Promote ethical behaviour in the industry.
Q5: How does the CIIA compare to other postgraduate qualifications in the industry? Video
- Combines international and local coverage
- Is internationally transportable and provides candidates with the option of studying and sitting exams in 11 different languages (Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish)
- The integral involvement of the national/regional societies ensures that the interests and input of the local industry and professionals are met in accordance with and commitment to industry ethics and standards
Q6: What makes the CIIA unique?
- Candidates may choose which national/regional market to study
- All common-knowledge exams are conducted in 11 different languages
- Candidates can apply for admission to the CIIA exams through any participating national/regional society
- Exams can be taken in any country where an ACIIA member exists
- The achievement of the CIIA will grant its holders a recognised level of expertise and knowledge which is common across international markets
Q7: How will it benefit (advance) my career? Video
Once you have obtained the CIIA, your current or potential future employers can be confident that you have both the highest level of theoretical and practical international and national knowledge to operate in their particular geographic location. Achieving the CIIA opens the door to your international career.
Q8: How is the CIIA diploma achieved? Video
- pass two levels of common knowledge exams designed to test candidates at a high standard of knowledge and skill in a comprehensive range of globally relevant topics
- pass a National/Regional Exam, set by participating national/regional societies which examines the local financial markets and environment of specific countries/regions
- have a minimum of one year working experience in the domain of financial analysis, portfolio management and/or investment in general (each national/regional association will determine the actual required year(s) of working experience as is considered appropriate in its country/region)
- are a member of a participating national/regional society
Q9: How is the examination process?
Q10: How do I prepare for the exams?
Q11: Where can I get additional training to help me pass the exams?
Q12: How often do the exams take place?
Once enrolled, you can take the exam in your choice from one of 11 languages - in any exam centre, should the demands of your work require it.
Q13: How much does it cost to do the CIIA exams?
Q14: What are the admission requirements? How do I apply?
Q15: Who is responsible for setting and marketing the exams?
The national/regional specific examination is set by the local national/regional society in each country and has to be approved by the IEC. This examination covers regulation, ethics, financial statements and market structure.
Q16: What assurance do we have that the examinations are of a high and competitive standard? Video
Over the past five years the IEC has been working in conjunction with the Centre for International Examinations in Switzerland on the development of the CIIA exams. The IEC members represent the highest level of excellence in their knowledge of international investment, and also include professors with expertise in establishing and managing high level academic and industry based examinations.